I HEART GOD/ I HEART GUELPH
WEEK 1 THE MOST IMPORTANT THING
1. REMEMBER, JESUS IS LORD.
If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 46 No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions. Matthew 22:45-46
2. REMEMBER, THE GREAT COMMANDMENT.
Jesus gives the religious leaders and us today very clear instructions about what it means to make Jesus Lord over our lives. He says:
The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ m 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ n There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:29-30
He outlines four parts of every human being:
- HEART – emotions (feelings)
- SOUL – spirit (worship)
- MIND – brain (thinking/intellect)
- STRENGTH – body (energy/muscle)
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Whatever controls us is our lord. The person who seeks power is controlled by power. The person who seeks acceptance is controlled by acceptance. We do not control ourselves. We are controlled by the Lord of our lives.
3. REMEMBER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.
As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, “Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you.”
He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.” Luke 11:27-28
These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Matthew 15:8
ACTIONS TO REVIEW:
- How do I treat people I disagree with? (fellow Christians?)
- How do I treat people who have hurt and offended me?
- What am I doing with the money and resources God has given me?
- Am I living my life in a bubble – who is allowed in and why or why not?